Monday, July 27, 2020

i3 Window Manager With Arch

It's been a while since I've installed i3 window manager and this weekend is the first time I've got it installed in a way that I like it.  I say it's been a while but last week I tried to install i3 on an Arch install, Arco Linux, EndeavorOS and then settled on just installing on a vanilla Arch base.  I settled on Arch because something finally clicked and everything fell in place for me.  Usually I just have to settle with what I have installed and not be able to customize it to where the OS works the way I want it to.  Take something easy like the screen timing out and going black when you haven't touched your keyboard in 10 minutes, which makes a movie hard to watch if your screen goes blank every 10 minutes.  In a desktop environment like Mate you just make a change in the settings, but in i3 there are no GUI settings manager so to cure this I wrote my first bash script without having to use something someone else had already done and posted on the internet.  I'm sure it's been done before but everybody else's was more complex than I could understand, so I came up with a two line script.   The only thing I haven't set up that I need is Bluetooth, but I don't really have to have that.  If I lived in a world that I carried this laptop around I would need the power savings program installed to extend battery life, but all my laptops are old and the batteries aren't going to last long even with that.

I've got the i3blocks (the i3bar or the top panel) working with transparency, and the system is only 520 packages, with things like an office suite still needed to be installed, and my memory usage at idle is around 300MB but if I'm watching a movie on Amazon or another streaming service I'm only running around 1600MB, which is about 1000MB to 2000MB less than when I run Ubuntu Mate.  Mate has to run Gnome in the background and that can be heavy on the resources and on my machines that causes them to start lagging after a day or two,  Also on my memory usage I  haven't had to use any swap usage which I like.

Now my next project is to install i3 on my main box, but use Debian instead of Arch. just to see if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment