Sunday, August 18, 2019

Windows Computer or Chromebook?

ZDNet has an article called "Windows or Chromebook? A Best Buy salesman told me it isn't even close".  I really want to call it dumb but I guess it's just your usual clickbait.  If the Best Buy salesman was someone that really knew anything, he wouldn't have answered the question that way.  The only thing a Window's computer at an entry-level price is good for is proprietary software that is low on system resources.  That's it.  If you're a gamer, if you use Adobe Creative Suite or a CAD program, you're going to buy a high-end Windows computer with lots of memory and a high-end CPU and graphic's card.  If you are smart you'll have one built to match your needs.  That's the only reason to buy a Window's computer.  I wanted to scream when my step sister-in-law made my mother-in-law buy an HP Windows computer.  Now it doesn't work from her visiting kids and grand children's abuse.  I bought her an Amazon Fire HD8 and she's a happy camper.

For people that need Windows, it's a tool.  That's all.  Yes, gamers use them but I still call it a tool.

My 9-year-old Window's laptop still runs perfectly.  I've got Linux on it.  Now is Linux for everybody?  No.  See the reasons I listed above for buying a Windows computer.  My 10-month-old Chromebook still runs great.  It does everything I need it to do and it cost $200 less than a comparable Windows computer.  My 2-year-old AmazonFire HD10 still runs great.  I use it daily.

Buy what you need, and don't listen to a salesperson that just wants to push a product.  Shop around and get what suits your needs.  Remember in the article what the salesman said when asked about updates and freezing?  Then explain it to someone that just wants to read what on the internet, check their email or God forbid, Facebook.  Tell that to the person that only has a few minutes for a presentation and has to wait for Windows to update.  The only other product like that are Android phones, and that's only 3 or 4 times a year, not monthly.


I don't know about Apple, but I LOVE watching Loius Rossmann on YouTube.  Watching him is entertaining. I know nothing about the repairs he does or electronics but I learn about business and enjoy his points of view, whether I agree with him or not.  So no Apple for me.  Is Apple better than Windows?  I don't know how updates are on Apple but if you buy a high-end Apple and compare this to the specs on a similar priced Windows box and Windows will come out on top.  

Now, put two-thirds of that money on a Linux computer and you got a supercomputer.  Just remember gaming is getting better on Linux. Valve has Steam and Proton now for lots of games you can play in.  Add to the fact that if Google Stadia really takes off then it sounds like Linux will have more games since stadia is probably going to be supported.  It even looks like Linux is going to get NVidia support, kinda maybe(?).  But right now Windows is top dog on gaming right now.  But is Windows on life support right now?


No comments:

Post a Comment