Monday, May 20, 2019

Finally, I've Installed Arch Linux. Nope Manjaro

Well, if you ask an Arch Linux user they would say not even close but I did install Manjaro XFCE.  There is a big difference and now I think I could do it.  Actually, I installed Arch Gnome last week and it worked, but couldn't, or didn't take the time to try to search out the programs I used on Ubuntu that was not readily available on Arch.  

There are probably big differences in Manjaro and Arch, but Manjaro was built as a lazy man's Arch, with a GUI to install instead of the command line of Arch.



So over a week, I messed with Arch, Manjaro, MX Linus, back and forth to Ubuntu, then to Xubuntu and then this weekend I installed Manjaro twice.  I screwed something up and couldn't find out how to get the screen back to its normal size (I doubled he desktop size but no scrollbars).  One thing I loved is the Conky Manager works.

I used Ubuntu because it was easier to use, at least I thought. Getting some programs really had a huge learning curve but once I figured out the Add/Remove Software and watched a couple of videos I think it'll be easier.

Unless I break something I'll never have to re-install my distro again.  Ubuntu does two releases a year, and when I update it eventually bogs down.  Manjaro is rolling releases where once something updates, it is released.  Plus Ubuntu seems to have spyware, as per Richard Stallman's video and I agree with his opinion.



One thing I liked about Ubuntu was that the online support and fan pages like OMG! Ubuntu is plentiful. Manjaro has a HUGE following lots of online help sites, and then there's Arch with even a larger fan base site and the Arch Wiki page, which is almost too technical for a user like me.  If there's ever been a question about Manjaro or Arch, then it's been answered.  You just have to find the dumbest downed explanation to understand.  Manjaro and Arch are created for two different types of people.  People that are smart enough with programming to do it themselves, and people like me that want to learn.

So with a week of learning, anxiety, frustration, and humbling I feel great.  But that's this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment