Monday, May 27, 2019

3 Day Weekend of Movies

This is Memorial Day, a day of remembering those that gave up their lives serving our country.  I honor them in my thoughts and prayers for them and their families.  My father and uncle fought in WWII, my father in the Pacific and my uncle in Europe.  I think a part of them died during that war with neither offering to talk about their wars, their fighting.   My uncle opened up once and now I understand why.

Now, this weekend I watched a lot of movies, some I've already forgotten.  The last three were Hondo, Lucy, and The Quiet Man.  Every movie made with Maureen O'Hara and John Wayne were magic.  People still travel to Innisfree to see where the movie was made.  If I was lucky enough or rich enough I would do the trip myself I would do it in a heartbeat.

While Ford and Wayne made a lot of low budget western movies for Republic Films, this was the only one to earn them an Emmy and one of the few films the shot in Technicolor.  In order for this movie to be made, Republic Films had the three film Rio Grande.

Lucy is just another Luc Besson movie, not much else can be said and Hondo is another John Wayne western, while it's not close to being one of my favorites it's still worth the watch.  While Hondo, based on a Louis L'Amour book was directed by John Farrow, one of the last scenes was directed by John Ford because Farrow had to leave the film because the film went over schedule.

I'm in the process of reading The Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert but it's not keeping me as entertained as I would like.  I have to say it is getting better, but between having another go at Arch Linus and trying to load XFCE on it and watching Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and some of my own movies there is just not enough time to read and enjoy the movies.  Arch was another failure and waste of 8 hours so back to Manjaro.







No comments:

Post a Comment