Thursday, June 18, 2020

Kubuntu 20.04

Kubuntu has come a long way since the first time I used it.  The first time there was no such thing as Plasma  with the release probably around KDE 3.5 around 2006.  A little later KDE 4.0 was released and both the KDE 3.5 and 4.0 were basically unusable on the hardware I had back then, needing more resources than my system could offer.  I would keep trying over the years and I never had any good luck with KDE matching up with the economical laptops that I would own over the years, even the 8 year old laptop I'm writing on now.

I had better luck with 19.10, the resources  were OK but it didn't matter if I was using Kubuntu or Neon I would always have a plasmasession failure, resulting with me having to log out and log back in until I could get a working desktop.  Part of the reason for the Kubuntu problem was that I was backporting into a more recent release of KDE which was version 5.16.

A couple of weeks ago I was keeping up with Big Daddy Linux and installed Lubuntu 20.04 and I just couldn't get it to work and look the way I wanted it so I installed Kubuntu 20.04 and basically it's been pretty flawless on this old laptop.  My only complaint is that I feel that I need to restart it every couple of days because the memory doesn't seem to clear like it does on my Ubuntu Mate 20.04.  My mouse pointer would start to drag and skip and then become unresponsive for 5 or 10 seconds and then continue to work okay just to repeat the problem again  a few seconds later.  A restart would correct this. I'm really liking Kubuntu now and I just might start using it as my main distro.  I've always liked Dolphin, Konsole and Latte Dock and I don't game so I don't need a lot of resources like an expensive CPU or graphics card so this little laptop keeps chugging along.  Here's a look at my current desktop.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment