Thursday, March 21, 2019

Chromebook and Chrome OS

Last November I purchased a Dell INSPIRON 3181 11 inch 2 in 1 Chromebook and in January I started a wish list for the operating system.  Probably the inability to drill into the file system and for programs to read my micro SD card that I store all my books and audiobooks on, just like on my Amazon Fire HD10, which I like a lot.  I did have before that a Nook and a couple of Samsung tablets, with my son being the beneficiary of each upgrade.  While losing some freedom after switching to the Fire HD10 I came to realize that anything I could do on my Samsung I could do it with my Fire HD.  Not that the Fire HD could do all that the Samsung could do, but what I did could be done with either.

I did not publish my blog because even though I loved my new Chromebook it had one problem, which was that the blue tooth would drop out, going from my earbuds to playing out of the Dell speakers.  Not a problem at home, but I really didn't want to be at work and have my book or movie sound bothering other people in the lunchroom.  Not that they could care about that because my co-workers would just turn on YouTube and turn the volume up so everyone could share.  I guess they think if it's good enough for them it's good enough for you. 

I sent my Chromebook back twice to Dell and I think with the third motherboard (counting the original) they fixed my problem.

The problem with pre 72 build OS's is that programs that I use to read, like Moon+Reader Pro and Smart AudioBook Player could not find my micro SD card, so all files had to be copied to my downloads file, the only file you can actually use with ease on Chrome OS.  Now with Chome OS build 72 these programs find my micro SD card and work just like my other tablets worked.  No need to move files.  I guess file syncing was made available with build 72, along with the chrome browser being better optimized for my touchscreen in tablet mode, and Google Assistant gets more functionality.

Now any day, hopefully, we upgrade to Chrome OS 73, which from my understanding will run Linux apps better, and with sound.  One reason I chose the Chromebook was hopefully turning it into a 2 in 1 Ubuntu notebook but after a couple of months with Chrome OS and Play Store, do I really need Gimp.  The only thing I really miss is not getting the .srt files to work with VLC, and I usually use my Ubuntu laptop for VLC anyway.  I keep it connected to my TV, which makes it a very smart TV when I watch Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix.

*** I just read audio support for Linux is pushed back to Chrome OS 74, which I think is to be released April 30th ***
Speaking of release dates I don't know who pushes the releases through, Google or Dell.  Chromium.org shows Chrome OS 73 release date as March 19th but no update for me yet,

Either way, for a computer this Chromebook has been my best and cheapest investment in a real computer.  Get used to the idea, all OS's are going to be doing this, and while you are at it look at Stadia coming up from Google.  They call it the future of gaming.

Sorry if some of this doesn't make sense, I'll check it tomorrow, it's past my bedtime.


No comments:

Post a Comment