Sunday, July 14, 2019

Well, It's I3 Now

I got another SSD drive yesterday and used Clonezilla to load a backup of Manjaro XFCE that I made a couple of weeks ago.  It's perfect and did what it was supposed to do.  Now I'm running a perfect XFCE setup, or what I was enjoying anyway.  But I got bored and wanted to do some distro-hopping.  So this I got smart and downloaded the Oracle Virtual Machine.  I fired it up and . . .  I didn't like it.  Not I3, the juries still out on whether I can handle a window manager instead of a desktop environment but I did not like the virtual box.  Now, what to do?

I decided to just load I3 but this time I'm dual booting it with my XFCE.  After loading I3 I went to the community to see how to do simple things like screen resolution.  My screen resolution was now set at 800 X 600 and my old laptop runs at 1366 x 768.    Talk about complication, wow everybody was doing this and that, with your config file or xrandr.  I finally went to the bmenu and found I could change it there and then save it.  As I stumble through I3 things get easier and easier.  But I will never master it, but all I have to do is get it the way I can work with it and be comfortable.

Linux is the cake and everything else is the cake decorations.  It all comes down to what programs you run and how comfortable you are when getting to them.  System resources are important, you don't want to be slowed down by what else is running in the background.  That's why I like XFCE, So now I have to see how I3 fits into my life.  Right now it's fun, learning new things on my Linux journey.  Learning things I can change in the dot config files is really going to be fun.


As long as it's simple and easy, or gets easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment