Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Old Man's War Series Quotation

I'm reading the 'Old Man's War" series by John Scalzi.  Book One's protagonist is John Perry, a 75-year-old man that signs up for the CDF military. While reading book 3 of the series I found this quote one page into the book.  It best describes how one joins the CDF and what happens while enlisted.

"I spent seventy-five years on Earth, living mostly in the same small Ohio town and sharing most of that life with the same woman. She died and stayed behind. I lived and I left.

The next world is metaphorical. The Colonial Defense Forces took me off Earth and kept the parts of me they wanted: my consciousness, and some small part of my DNA. From the latter they built me a new body, which was young and quick and strong and beautiful and only partially human. They stuffed my consciousness inside of it, and gave me not nearly enough time to glory in my second youth. Then they took this beautiful body that was now me and spent the next several years actively trying to get it killed by throwing me at every hostile alien race it could."

Old Man's War was really good but The Ghost Brigade didn't quite live up to its introductory book of the series.  Book 3, 'The Last Colony seems to be back to what I like and well worth the read.  I hope it lives up to my expectations.



Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment