Sunday, June 23, 2019

SwagArch, Yet Another Arch Distro On My Computer

This time it's SwagArch and it was probably the easiest and quickest to install.  SwagArch uses the Calamares installer for the easy install. On the SwagArch home page it shows a location screen on the installer, and I must've blown through it or sometimes my had trembles and I double click and I could have blown through it that way.  That was my only hiccup with the install, I was on Eastern Daylight Time instead of Pacific Daylight Time.

On my first boot the night light has been set to a temperature of 4800 for easier nighttime computing, supposedly making it easier to sleep after playing on the internet before bedtime, but I don't have that problem.  Thank you Doctor!

This is the first time I've posted screenshots without any customization, unless you call correcting my location a customization.

This is a minimal install and I have no idea what flavor I have.  The about screen shows the Gnome but the main page says XFCE and Distrowatch.org shows Budgie.  That's a little confusing but no deal breaker.


Like I said before, the install is minimal.  No Favorites on the menu, so if it is XFCE I'll change that to Whiskermenu.  The desktop is running Plank for a launcher, so that is customized to what I like.  The minimal install only has Gimp and Simple Scan in Graphics, Calendar in Office, Firefox in Internet, Cheese, Gnome MPV, and Music in Sound & Video.  System Tools and Utilities do not have enough programs loaded to have a scroll bar, and when you click All, the programs are not alphabetized but listed in the categories the programs fall in.  Pamac is the software handler and AUR is already set up, all you have to do is toggle the switch.

What I haven't found yet is a way to change themes or change the top bar.  Right clicking doesn't bring up anything on the bar or the desktop, so I get to play around on Google to learn a few things about SwagArch.  In two or three days I'll either love it or move on, but my first impression is that SwagArch is a laid back kind of OS, a complete opposite of KDE.  I just hope I can customize this to the way I can love it instead of like it.  My hat goes off to Mike Krüger, the name listed on the copyleft.




No comments:

Post a Comment