Saturday, June 8, 2019

Where's Your Operating System - BLOWN UP, SIR! (and other random distro thoughts)

A little Stripes (1980) humor in the title.  In my tinkering over the last couple of weeks, I blew up one drive trying to install an operating system on a drive plugged into a USB port and didn't realize it.  I guess the  SDD drive didn't like me working around the fdisk program in my file systems.  With my XFCE operating system on SDA and the SDD drive in my USB, I was installing KDE on being SDB. something happened and it wouldn't get into grub.  Rather than researching it out I just reinstalled my Manjaro XFCE.  If anybody reads this and knows what they are doing then I'm sure they will probably scratch their head and try to figure out what I mean.  The hazards of learning on my own.

I really like the look and feel.  I know better now.  Here's a screenshot from my new install and it is basically the same, except this time I've used 3 panels at the top of my desktop.  I'm posting 3 different screenshots, but I really like the "Manhattanhenge" picture that I found and I will be using it mostly.  I like the bee picture but it's too bright for my eyes and the turtles are a favorite.  I love my Conky Manager and having the time standing out like it does on my desktop!


 

My next attempt will be either KDE Neon or Pop!_OS with me leaning to KDE Neon.  Strike the Pop!_OS, I'm staying away from Ubuntu and distros based on Ubuntu.  I want to expand my experience and learn new commands.  In Manjaro I've learned a lot.  Manjaro KDE really took a long time to set up to where I like it, and XFCE wasn't much quicker even though I have a little more experience with XFCE than KDE.

I want to try the MY Linux distro, but it's an XFCE so I'm putting it off until I look more into the KDE Plasma experience.  My Linux is based on Debian, like Ubuntu, and I've read nothing but good reviews on My Linux and true Debian distros. Another distro I'm definitely trying will be Zorin OS 15Forbes ran an article about Zorin and it makes me rethink how I felt about Zorin.  A few years ago I saw the Zorin OS and saw they had a free version and a paid version and jumped to the gun that to get the full experience you would have to get the paid version but it looks like I was wrong.  Zorin offers the paid version and gives better hands-on support while keeping the free version just like all the other distros.  With Windows 7 going bye-bye systems like Zorin could benefit from that.  Maybe not as much as the Canonicals, Red Hats, and other enterprise type systems with Zorin getting business from people that don't want to pay the price of these giants.

Back to my Manjaro install.  The dark themes I like to use make sites like Bing hard to use by blacking out the search entry field when I use Firefox.  I like Firefox but can't work around that problem.  The one GREAT thing I like about Firefox when comparing Firefox to Chrome or Chromium is the website notification popup screen that wants to push notifications to your computer.  Chrome and Chromium give you a yes or no, which you have to click on every time you go to one of these sites but Firefox has a drop-down menu that offers a never choice.  Maybe I'll find a workaround on that but didn't in the 30 plus minutes of me searching and playing with themes.

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment